Understanding Instagram’s EULA
Monday, February 6, 2017
There’s a lot of jargon tossed about in social media end user license agreements, and Instagram is no exception. We aim to help you understand the terms, conditions, and responsibilities laid upon you when you click “agree.”
Why do we care?
Loyal IT cares because misuse or abuse of social media can allow viruses and malware onto corporate networks. We want clients and their employees to understand that their actions do have a real-world impact. Understanding how Instagram collects and uses data, along with your responsibility while using their service, is the first step toward preventing unauthorized access to personal and corporate data.
Data Collection and Use
- The information Instagram collects is that which you directly provide to them:
- Registration information (username, password, and email address)
- Profile information (First and Last name, picture, phone number)
- User content (Photos, comments, etc.)
- Collected information is used to customize advertisements on your feed to show things you may enjoy.
- Instagram does not sell, rent or distribute your information to third parties outside of Instagram and the group of companies Instagram is a part of. This is so other companies can find advertisements that relate to you as well. When associated companies share your information (see the loop hole there) they will leave out information that identifies you, or they will mix it with other information so it no longer identifies to you.
You can remove any information you have posted on the service, although copies may still remain viewable from archived pages or if any third parties have copied or saved that information.
What are you agreeing to?
When you hit accept you are promising that:
- you are over 13 years of age.
- the information you provided them is accurate.
- you will not interfere with the way Instagram functions (injecting content/code).
- you will not spam other users in any way. Violations to these can lead to the deletion of your account.
- terminate your account for any reason without any notice to you. All rights granted to you in the terms of service and agreement end immediately.
- refuse access to services to anyone at any time.
- forfeit your username for any reason.
- edit, remove, or block any content they think violates their terms.
- interfere in disputes between users.
“You (and also any third party for whom you operate an account or activity on the service) agreed to defend (at Instagram’s request), indemnify and hold the Instagram parties harmless from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses and expenses, including without limitation reasonable attorney’s fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with the following: you violating these terms; your violation to third parties rights; your violation of laws; any misrepresentation made by you.”
Do you have social media users at your company? Of course you do (even if there aren’t supposed to be)! Find out if your company has been exposed to attack by requesting a security scan from Loyal IT. Our auditing process ferrets out vulnerabilities in your processes, infrastructure, and network so they can be removed and you can conduct business safely.